Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Kitchen

I frantically run out the door each morning - I'm late! Why am I always late?!. I get to the end of Sheridan and no one seems to want to let me turn onto Central. I finally get on and the light turns red. Four red lights later and I merge onto Independence, except it's not independence - I'm trapped in bumper to bumper traffic. Five deadly merges later and I get onto Wilkinson. Things slow down a bit. Camp Greene approaches and I see Kitchen.

I hope for the red light

For a brief moment I stop hearing about the atrocities in Syria and I stop seeing the brake lights around me and I stop thinking about the meeting I'm 10 minutes late for and I stop. I like the calm, faded mint green paint. The way it looks against the bright blue or soft gray or eerily white or still dark sky. The way it suddenly comes to a halt when the corner turns to bright orange inexpensive brick. I like the steps up, up, up - where's it going, where's it been?

That sort of explains how I feel about our kitchen. It has potential but getting to it will be a chaotic journey.

Our kitchen is far from my dreams but it's better than where we started.

We made five significant improvements that may end up being all we get to before moving.
  1. Doors closing it off to the rest of the house were removed
  2. Wallpaper was removed and replaced with cheery blue and white walls 
  3. Fridge was moved to achieve the desirable kitchen work triangle
  4. Old, low-quality desk and sideboard left by previous owners were merged to create additional (tall person!) counter space
  5. Pot rack was added over the sink
Some additional photographic evidence is below. There are no photos of the whole kitchen yet because it's never clean enough long enough for a photo shoot - but maybe our new cleaning lady (woot!) will help change that.






Also - the garbage disposal was replaced by our home warranty after Alex tried dutifully to fix it using YouTube videos, Tim (our summer roommate) installed our ice-maker, and Alex had a mustache. Each of these were scheduled for their own blog post but considering they all happened in 2013 I thought it was time to spill the beans.



No comments:

Post a Comment