Sunday, March 10, 2013

Electrifying

The Whirlpool set that came with the house:
Pretty nice right?  Well they are from 1989, and the dryer didn't work that great.  Talla had a set in her basement, so I went ahead on sold these on craigslist (for $175!  Booyah!)

After we got the new washer and dryer lugged into the house, I realized that there was one small problem....
Crap.... 

Back at Home Depot, they had no Dryer cords that would fit in this outlet.  I did manage to find what I was looking for, but it was a cord for a range.  The staff at HD "strongly" recommended that I not try to put the range cord on the back of the dryer.  Since they couldn't explain to me WHY this was a bad idea, I went ahead and bought the cord.
Then I did one of the dumbest things that I had done in a while.... 

In my defense, I didn't want to go through the work of installing the new cord just to find out that the plug didn't fit again.

I plugged in the new cord to test it (not attached to anything on the other end).  As soon as it went in, 220 volts sparked violently at my feet.  Woops!... didn't think that one through.  In the pictures below, you will see some charred areas on the copper from the "test".





No comments:

Post a Comment