Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Bright Idea?

We've agreed since the beginning of our home-sharing adventure that Sheridan is just a temporary home. Since we're not sure how long we're going to live here, we're very budget conscious when it comes to decorating. Lighting has not been an exception. We did several lighting makeovers rather than purchase new.

The first light to get a makeover was the dining room light. The house came with a nice, standard brass chandelier. It was fine but didn't really go with the room after we painted it. Rather than purchase a new chandelier I spray painted the brass one high gloss white. I wasn't sure how it would turn out but I kind of dig it. I'm thinking of adding a pattern to the faux candlesticks before calling it done.

Before and after (for before, before photos visit the bottom of this post):


The next light was a tiny little reading light I purchased from IKEA years ago (I think I was in college). The light had a brown and tan vine pattern that no longer fit my style. I had some leftover black and white tweed that I liked much better. I thought spray adhesive would do the trick but a few days later the material started coming off of the original shade. I added some hot glue to the edges and haven't had any problems since.



The third light makeover was also for the living room and is still a work in progress. We found a lamp at a local antique store for less than $20 and a shade at ReStore for about $5. I spray painted the lamp high gloss black. Initially I like the shade but later decided that while the shape was good, the fabric was bad. It's naked right now but I hope to get some white striped fabric on the shade soon.


Coincidentally Alex bought another house in our neighborhood and the previous owners left the same lamp! Now we sort of have a pair - Alex left the second one in the other house for his current tenants to use.

Three lamps for about $30. 


No comments:

Post a Comment